If you’ve never had a banana donut, you’re in for treat with this recipe. These chocolate glazed banana donuts are all the best flavors of banana bread in a baked cake donut, topped with chocolate ganache glaze and chopped, toasted hazelnuts. This is a simple recipe that comes together quickly, making it perfect for an on the go sweet treat any day of the week.
These donuts are tender, fluffy and moist. They retain their moisture for a few days, and I think these taste even better the day after they’re baked. The silky chocolate glaze is the perfect pairing and helps boost the hint of cinnamon in the donuts. Toasted, chopped hazelnuts add some nutty crunch.
These donuts are made all in one bowl, similar to how you would make banana bread. Melted butter, and brown sugar are whisked together, followed by mashed bananas, an egg and vanilla. Flour, a smidge of cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt are whisked in and mixed until just incorporated.
You can spoon the batter into the prepared donut pans, or you can also pipe the batter into the pans. Fill them about 2/3 full so that they have space to rise. The donuts only take about 9-11 minutes to bake, until they are golden brown.
While the donuts cool, prepare the glaze. Combine the bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate with the butter, cream and a pinch of salt. Microwave in 30 second increments, still after each, until smooth, glossy and fully melted. Dip the cooled donuts in the glaze and top with toasted hazelnuts.
I hope that you enjoy these chocolate glazed banana donuts as much as I do! If you make them, let me know and leave a comment or tag me on Instagram.
For more banana recipes, check out these posts:
Chocolate Glazed Banana Donuts
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (107g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (227g) mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup (57g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (28g) toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 350F. Liberally butter (or baking spray) two – standard (6 wells) baking pans. You will be using 8-9 wells total.
- Melt the butter in a large bowl. Whisk in the brown sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the mashed bananas, the egg and the vanilla extract.
- Sprinkle the surface of the batter evenly with the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk until the ingredients are fully dispersed in the batter.
- Pipe or spoon the batter into each donut well, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake the donuts for 9-11, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in a donut comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes before removing them from the pan to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate, butter, cream and salt.
- Melt in the microwave in 20-30 second increments, until the glaze is smooth, glossy and fully melted.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze, twisting as you remove the donut, to allow the excess glaze to drip back in the bowl.
- Topped with toasted hazelnuts.